Golf has been played at Traigh since about 1900, and it was originally a private course, only for the use of the owners and their friends! The old layout was very cramped – in fact several fairways crossed over each other. Golfers had to share the ground with dairy cows up until the 1990s, and the cows were kept off the greens with fencing wire.
This all changed in 1993 when the owner and golf enthusiast, Jack Shaw Stewart, invited the well-known Scottish golf architect, Johnny Salvesen, to redesign the course. Johnny had been Captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Course of St. Andrews, and Chairman of the Championship Committee (responsible for The Open). He designed and improved courses all over Britain and abroad, but he was especially proud of his work on the spectacular nine-hole course at Traigh.
Golf has been played at Traigh since about 1900. The old layout was much too small however, and between 1993 and 1995 the course was enlarged and greatly improved.
The new Traigh Golf Course was designed by well-known Scottish golf architect John Salvesen. Cunningly using the natural contours of the hills that rise up from the beach, he created ‘a fair challenge to all levels of golfer – but a course that is great fun to play on, so that one wants to play it again’.
During the redesign of the course, invaluable advice and help was provided by James MacDonald MBE, head greenkeeper at Royal Lytham & St Annes for over twenty years, who was a native of Arisaig and who knew the ground well.
About the Course
The course is based on a line of grassy hills, with the springy turf of a true links course. It’s a nine-hole course, par 68, SSS 65.
Traigh is a subtle golf course that rewards accurate shotmaking. Good players are made to work for their scores, and yet high handicappers are given every chance. In short, Traigh offers something for everyone.
Traigh presents the golfer with all the traditional challenges of a classic seaside links.